Partners at the heart of the difference
2018 saw the business rebrand to John Lewis & Partners, which signalled the importance of its people in delivering a difference to customers. It describes the “energy, commitment and personality” of its Partners as crucial in “delivering excellent customer service and high-quality products.”
Our partnership makes us stronger
Back in 2009, long before most companies ran CX studies, John Lewis asked us to help it set up a branch-level satisfaction programme.
Ten years on, this study has been rolled out to analyse feedback from key touchpoints during the shopper experience, including store, web and delivery.
During this time, JL & P has won many awards for its service, marketing and store development, and has achieved year-on-year turnover growth.
Senior executives have often referred to the programme as a key factor behind this growth. We think there are 5 elements to this success.
1. Establishing a clear understanding of what ‘excellent looks like’ – sharing this in engaging formats across the business.
2. Relentless focus on the important whilst becoming more agile and experimental
3. Closed-loop feedback – commitment to taking action on the back of criticism
4. Triangulated insight stories for Board-level decisions. We work collaboratively to gauge progress and spot opportunities – fusing many sources of customer feedback with internal sales and behavioural data
5. A quiet determination to be the best – partnership approach ensuring universal commitment to ‘getting even better’.
Evolving whilst achieving highest-ever scores
Kokoro’s work has helped identify opportunities for John Lewis & Partners to continually improve how they serve customers – from enhancing interactions via the introduction of handheld devices, to all Partners being asked to identify moments in the delivery journey that help shoppers feel more in control.
51 branches across the UK
£3.8 billion in 2018
Significant step up in training and capability building investment in 2018